× Members

Hearing Date Arrived

More
10 years 1 month ago #119091 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Hearing Date Arrived
BB

1. Providing the GP has clearly identified that his evidence applies to 2012 as well then there should be no problem.

2. Your father is appealing being placed in the WRAG so if the appeal is successful then he will be entitled to back payment of the difference between the WRAG and the SG, about £6/week. In addition, by being placed in the SG, the time he spent in the WRAG will be removed from the 365 days count for the payment of ESA(CB), as it appears he spent the full year in the WRAG, this should reset the count to zero.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119130 by Steve Blue
Replied by Steve Blue on topic Hearing Date Arrived
Understood.

With regards to the difference between the SG and WRAG benefit being refunded, I might be wrong, but I don't think there was a difference. For a few years my dad had needed to claim Incapacity Benefit, then he was placed in WRAG 2012. The first we heard of terms ESA/WRAG/SG was during the appeal process :( But near certain his money stayed the same, so don't think there would be any monetary gain... but, I might be wrong then.

I was going to mention in our final cover letter to the courts when we sent in the final piece of GP evidence that there would be no monetary gain... but probably not best to mention then in case untrue. The main reason was just get the 365 days reinstated.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119133 by Gordon
BB

As a general rule, unless a Tribunal is specifically related to payments, never mention money in connection with an appeal, it is likely to result in the case being thrown out, Tribunals take the view that an appeal should only be made because the claimant believes they meet the criteria!

It is quite possible that your father's IB payments were more than the ESA WRAG rate and that as a result he received a Transitional Payment, I would have expected that payment to have been lost when he was moved to the SG on the latest assessment so it is possible that his payment remained the same or even went down.

What will happen if he wins his Tribunal is that the period he spent in the WRAG is erased and the DWP will re-calculate his payments from scratch as if he had just been transferred from IB, this may not result in any increase, but it may, and it should also result in any Transitional Payment continuing on to his current award.

I know it's complicated and I will warn you that the DWP often get it wrong, but you cannot say for certain that there will not be an increase in his payments.

I seem to remember from previous conversations that he was not eligible for Income Related ESA, but it would be worth checking this again if the cause was related to income or deductions as the amount the government expects him to live will have increased now that he is in the SG.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Blue

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119337 by Steve Blue
Replied by Steve Blue on topic Hearing Date Arrived
With my dad's appeal coming up at the end of April... Are you able to give us an idea of what to expect. Who would be there... What would be asked... How long will it take, etc? As a representative, I/we are getting a little stressed :sick:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119338 by Gordon

Bluebear wrote: With my dad's appeal coming up at the end of April... Are you able to give us an idea of what to expect. Who would be there... What would be asked... How long will it take, etc? As a representative, I/we are getting a little stressed :sick:

For an ESA appeal there will be two members on the panel, a Judge or legal member and a doctor, there may also be a DWP Presenting Officer, if there is then although it may be related to your Dad's claim it is more likely that they are there for the day and are attending all of the hearings.

The hearing is usually about 40 minutes, it will start with a brief introduction of who is there and there role and then the hearing itself will start, most of the questions are likely to come from the doctor although the Judge will also ask questions as they feel appropriate.

Questions will be directed to your father and unless he has problems communicating they will expect him to answer, you can add extra content if you feel it is important but be aware, say too much and they will politely ask you to be quiet, you will get some time at the end to make any comments you want.

Most of the questions will be about your fathers daily activities, they will however be a lot more straight forward than those asked at the ATOS assessment, they are looking to understand his limitations, they also likely ask for some background information.

You may get the result on the day, but it is becoming more common for the result to be posted the next day.

Have a look at the following

Preparing for a Tribunal

and

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=topic&catid=10&id=87354

Gordon

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 1 month ago #119339 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Hearing Date Arrived
Hello BB,

See my guide in the Spotlights area GOOD PRACTICE GUIDANCE FOR THOSE WHO APPEAR BEFORE APPEAL TRIBUNALS

These notes provide information for those who represent claimants at tribunals dealing with Social Security appeals. e.g. ESA, DLA etc. The following notes apply to qualified benefits advisers acting as a representative at an appeal, or to a relative, family friend or carer who although not qualified benefits advisers provide representation at appeal.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.