SDA-ESA: My journey has begun

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
9 years 10 months ago #122609 by MariW
SDA-ESA: My journey has begun was created by MariW
Dear Mods and Members,

This morning, the postman delivered the brown envelope with the DWP communication that begins, “Your Benefit is Changing”. I don’t need to explain to you what that means! After several decades of progressive disability I have begun the frightening journey from Severe Disablement Allowance to Employment and Support Allowance.

Obviously, I have known this letter would arrive since the migration process was announced back in 2010. It doesn’t make it easier. Anxiety about ESA (and indeed PIP) has wrecked my mental health. The effort of compiling a body of evidence without much help from current doctors and drafting answers has been so physically stressful that the degree of pain and exhaustion I experience has rocketed. All the while, my medical condition has continued to progress.

I have good reason to expect to be placed in the Support Group. However, irrespective of the outcome, so much damage has already been done to me as a person, making life harder for my carer to boot. I am not the person I was four years ago, valued as a family member, friend, and neighbour.

I can’t stop crying. What if I cry at an assessment? Would tears count as failure to participate?

I’ll try to keep the forum updated for the benefit of the remnant left to be migrated to ESA.

Mari W

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122612 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic SDA-ESA: My journey has begun
Mari

You are not alone, the latest statistics suggest that there are 80,000 claimants still to be transferred and some 400,000 "transferees" still waiting to be assessed.

I don't think crying during the assessment would be counted as failing to participate, it's a reflection of your mental health and should be something that the assessor should take into account when they see you, if indeed you need an assessment in the first place.

Try not to worry yourself too much over this process, you have been preparing for it for a long time and I am sure that you are ready.

The next action is for the DWP to call you to see if you have any questions on the process and then following that, for ATOS to issue an ESA50 within two weeks of that.

Try and keep us informed of how things are going.

Best wishes

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW

More
9 years 10 months ago #122613 by LizP
Replied by LizP on topic SDA-ESA: My journey has begun
Hi Mari
I am so sorry to hear about the effect the waiting and not knowing has had on you. Just remember you are not alone and try and hold your head up - this site helps a lot.

I am psyching myself up for WCA this week; I have found an advocate to go with me which is helping. I hate all the compiling of things that are wrong with me.

Is there one doctor who would write you a support letter? My GP has done a short but to the point letter and not charged me. I know it varies.

Wish I could help.

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122721 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic SDA-ESA: My journey has begun
Thanks, Gordon :)

I’m sitting here surrounded by paperwork I can hardly see. I used to have a print-out of all the LCWRA and LCW descriptors (Annex A and Annex B). I cannot find it. Is there a link?

For the moment can you remind me whether there is an LCWA descriptor for question 8 ( to do with getting around) or is it LCW only?

BTW I have not had a DWP phone call yet.

Mari W
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122722 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic SDA-ESA: My journey has begun

MariW wrote: Thanks, Gordon :)

I’m sitting here surrounded by paperwork I can hardly see. I used to have a print-out of all the LCWRA and LCW descriptors (Annex A and Annex B). I cannot find it. Is there a link?

For the moment can you remind me whether there is an LCWA descriptor for question 8 ( to do with getting around) or is it LCW only?

BTW I have not had a DWP phone call yet.

Mari W

The ESA Claim guides have details of the WRAG and Support Group Descriptors and when a WRAG 15 point Descriptor corresponds to an SG one.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

Question 8 has no SG equivalent.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122797 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic SDA-ESA: My journey has begun
Good afternoon!

Following receipt of the letter marking the start of my migration from SDA to ESA, a person from the DWP has made the standard phone call. I gave permission for my carer to deal with the call. I’m in so much pain I can’t think straight and my speech is poor.

I had already advised my carer not to volunteer any unnecessary information and to ask only one question: when to expect the ESA 50. The answer was a shock. Apparently, it could be up to seven (7) weeks before I receive the form. My carer checked that the person had said “weeks” and not “days” but it could indeed be up to seven weeks before I receive the ESA 50.

I have never read anything like this on B & W or heard of such a delay from other claimants. Is this normal? In reality, is the form likely to arrive much sooner?

Thanks again,

Mari W

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.