× Members

SDA-ESA: My journey has begun

More
9 years 8 months ago #124224 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic SDA-ESA: My journey has begun
Hi Mari

I am afraid there is no defined timescale for a Decision to be made following your file being returned to the DWP from ATOS, as an expectation, you are probably looking at 4-6 weeks, it would likely have taken 2 weeks for the file to get to the right department!

You can issue a SAR for the ESA85A, you may even get it before a Decision is made, but even if you do receive it before then the DWP are very unlikely to look at any additional information you send them in response. That is not to say that you should not make the request, it will be useful for your own records and if an adverse Decision is made, you will be able to make use of it then.

If you do want to write to the DWP, then send them to the address on the letters you will have received from the DWP about the Transfer and mark them for the attention of the Decision Maker.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #124229 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic SDA-ESA: My journey has begun
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your advice. I’ll give things at least another two weeks before sending a SAR or any other communication if 4-6 weeks is the norm.

Think me a fool, but I had not considered it a risk that my file might not reach the right DWP desk straight away. I had thought that Atos recommendations are sent electronically. I suppose ESA 50 forms that Atos have finished with are sent by post. What exactly does the word “file” mean in the DWP dictionary?

Mari

More
9 years 8 months ago #124232 by Gordon
Mari

It is quite literally a paper file containing all of the information about the claimant that ATOS need in order to process the assessment phase, I believe it is referred to as an ESA55.

The ESA85A is handwritten as the LiMa software is not used, but even the ESA85 which is electronically produced still has to be printed and signed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW

More
9 years 8 months ago #124569 by MariW
It will soon be five weeks since ATOS returned my file to the DWP. When I first learned of this from ATOS I was advised “I would expect that they [the DWP] will write to you with their Decision within the next couple of weeks, if they don't then I would chase them for an update.”

On the basis of this advice, my carer phoned the DWP after three weeks. No decision. I reported back to the forum and was advised “you are probably looking at 4-6 weeks, it would likely have taken 2 weeks for the file to get to the right department!”

I had planned to ask my carer to phone the DWP again at the five-week point with a view to my issuing a Subject Access Request to the Data Controller after six weeks. Then I read last week’s post by Billhan. It’s numbered #124561. Billhan reported, “I sent my form back to atos on the 7th may 2013 and on the 17th july 2014 it arrived at the dwp and today I got my letter 6th of September.” That’s a gap of seven weeks between ATOS forwarding a claimant’s file to the DWP and the claimant receiving notice from the decision maker.

Is the time period a file lies around the DWP waiting for a DM to look it over getting longer? I don’t want to put my carer through an excess of phones calls. Neither do I want to risk submitting a pre-decision SAR to the Data Controller before I really have to. I don’t want to jeopardise the ATOS recommendation.

So is there any evidence that the DWP are taking longer to reach decisions?

Thanks,

Mari

More
9 years 8 months ago #124571 by Gordon
Mari

I am afraid that this is not an exact science, it was the summer break (the kids went back last week), so staffing levels at the DWP may have dropped temporarily and there are most certainly regional variations.

It's difficult to see how the workload on DM's has increased (causing delays), the evidence from the forum is that the ESA50 to assessment time continues to increase and whilst there have been exceptions, the vast majority of re-assessments are still being deferred, so you sort of have to wonder what is there for them to do other than to process the few assessment reports that are actually receiving.

Gordon

More
9 years 8 months ago #124573 by MariW
Thanks again, Gordon :)

I’ve been wracking my brains for some reason why it should take so long for the DWP for consider the ATOS recommendation. The summer-break would have affected ATOS, too, and they were remarkably swift to look over the ESA50.

Another phone call soon, I think. The idea of a pre-decision SAR scares me somewhat because my condition is progressive and although I am not anticipating submitting further information before a decision I can’t know for sure.

Mari

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.