× Members

Got the Date for PIP Medical and am Terrified

• Wendy
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #150711 by Wendy
I don't know if you can help me with this.

I contacted my consultant's secretary to see if he has been contacted for a report. She said that they have heard nothing from DWP.

Do DWP request reports before the medical or afterwards?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #150717 by Gordon

Wendy wrote: I don't know if you can help me with this.

I contacted my consultant's secretary to see if he has been contacted for a report. She said that they have heard nothing from DWP.

Do DWP request reports before the medical or afterwards?

The Assessment Provider will most likely contact the claimants doctors before the assessment, they may contact them after but this is much more unlikely. The DWP will always contact afterwards as they will not look at the paperwork until after the assessment is done.

However, and this is a big "however", the likelihood of either contacting your doctors at any time in the process is extremely low, I would be surprised if the figure was as high as 10% of claims.

If there is evidence that you want to be considered then our advice is for you to source it yourself and include it with your PIP2 form.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Wendy
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #150728 by Wendy
Thank you Gordon.

Can I add reports at this late stage?

Do you think I should pay for a report to be written?

I'm sorry for all the questions today.

• foss27
8 years 3 months ago #150750 by foss27
Hi Wendy
You can keep adding to your evidence up to the day of the assessment.
You need to impress on your doctors and other treatment providers that the DWP will not contact them.
It is tricky because at the beginning of the claim form it says not to bother getting new evidence but use what you already have. Unfortunately this will be used against you.
I think it is time we took up this issue with our MPs and others to get some clarity and possibly more honest advice from the DWP.
Sometimes GPs etc do make a charge for writing a letter. You should contact your surgery manager and enquire if they charge and make them aware the DWP will not contact the GP in the majority of cases. Other providers may also charge. Its really up to you to ascertain if they will provide good evidence.

• Wendy
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #150797 by Wendy
I've had a snooty reply to an email I sent to my consultant's secretary. She informed me that it wasn't the done thing to request reports as this was done by DWP and she would have to speak to the consultant.

I said that I was happy to pay for the report and an appointment to see the consultant so I am waiting to hear back from her.

My husband has re-arranged my appointment to the 29th February and has asked if it could be a female conducting the assessment. I don't know of they will do this but he said that it did say a request could be made on the letter.

So should I get on to my GP as well for a report?

My husband sent in lots of evidence with my claim including a dvd showing the degeneration of my knees. I assume they didn't want this as they sent it back to me.

I don't understand how someone not from the medical profession can genuinely assess someone like me that has mental health issues and that's without the physical issues as well.

Do I fight for these reports or do I hope that DWP actually does request them.

Thank you in advance.

More
8 years 3 months ago #150817 by Gordon
Wendy

I would confirm the request for a female assessor in writing or at the least by email.

This is not a medical examination and there should be no requirement for you to take off your clothes, so you may need to explain your reasons for the request,

It would not hurt to speak to your GP as well, just in case your consultant is unable to help you.

The DWP's view is that all of their assessors are trained in Disability Assessment and are therefore qualified to assess all claimants.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.