× Members

Support Group - No Medical

More
8 years 3 days ago #157749 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Support Group - No Medical - Now Pip

Duncan T wrote: So would it be reasonably safe to assume that in an ideal world, someone such as me, that can not walk at all, should be awarded maximum points for mobilising?

I'm being picky, but so will they, it's not Mobilising, this is an ESA term, PIP refers to Moving Around, so providing it is accepted that you cannot reliably stand and move more than 20m on the majority of days, then you should score the 12 points needed for an Enhanced award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, Duncan T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 days ago #157849 by Duncan T
Replied by Duncan T on topic Support Group - No Medical - Now Pip
Makes a bit more sense now that I've been through the guide in the members section, it's so in-depth, well done B&W. Just photocopied my Pip 2 form and ready to start my draft form now. Why does it all have to be so stressful, and to think, at my age of 42, I'm going to have to go through this several more times before they leave me alone, makes me wonder if its worth it sometimes :(

More
8 years 2 days ago #157852 by Duncan T
Replied by Duncan T on topic Support Group - No Medical - Now Pip
Oh dear, Q3a Do you use an aid or appliance to prepare or cook a simple meal? Yes, no, Sometimes.

Problem is, the honest answer is that no I don't use an aid or appliance. But the reason is that I do not cook as I can't. Due to the weakness in my back and arms, I am prone to dropping things, I can't reach etc. I am truly a danger in the kitchen, so my wife/carer does all the cooking etc.

Problem is that If I put the honest answer of No down, I'll get no points for it. How do I proceed with this one? I'm sure there will be other questions that are similar for me.

Cheers :sick:

More
8 years 2 days ago #157871 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Support Group - No Medical
Duncan

You are reading the question wrong, which is easy to do, it's

- are you able to prepare and cook a meal?
- are you only able to prepare and cook a meal with the use of an aid or appliance?
- are you unable to prepare and cook a meal even with the use of an aid of appliance?

So if you are unable to reliably, on the majority of days prepare and cook a meal even with the use of an aid or appliance then you should tick "no" and explain what conditions prevent you from doing so and why.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #158086 by Duncan T
Replied by Duncan T on topic Support Group - No Medical
Hi Gordon

Many thanks for all your replies. I think maybe the Pip2 form has changed. Q3 definitely states:

Do you use an aid or appliance to prepare or cook a simple meal?

Do you need help from another person to prepare or cook a simple meal?

Give extra information

I have sent an email to the office email address with a copy of my pip2 form blank, so you can check to see if it has changed in any way. I did find a couple of places where the members guide did not seem to match up completely to the pip2 form as well.

Cheers

Duncan

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #158108 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Support Group - No Medical
Duncan

You are still misunderstanding the question :(

There hasn't been a change to the form, the question about receiving assistance is simply an extension of what I have already posted in regard to your using an aid.

Can you prepare and cook a meal on your own with the use of any aids?

If you can then you won't score points.

If you can't then the question becomes, can you prepare and cook a meal with the use of appropriate aids? For example; if you have problems with dexterity then you might not be able to handle hot pans, but the use of an aid such as a slotted spoon may mean that you do not have to handle the hot pans as it would allow you to move the food from the pan to a plate.

If this was the case then you would score two points.

In parallel to this is the question of whether you could cook a meal if someone was with you to help you. If you have problems with depression then you may not be motivated to prepare and cook a meal, having someone to prompt you to do this may mean that you can complete this activity but only with this prompting. If this was the case then you would again score two points.

Perhaps you have problems with attention so there is a safety issue to your cooking or there are specific sections of the activity that you cannot complete on your own, you may be able to complete the activity if you have someone to supervise or assist you. if this was the case then you could expect to score four points.

Gordon

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Duncan T

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.