× Members

PIP

More
4 years 8 months ago #236291 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP
Hi Cruella

If you can't do something reliably and safely - yes you need to say so, but don't just throw it out as a phrase. You need to show what you mean and why you can't. So if you have problems walking it's not just enough to describe what those problems are, you also have to show why you couldn't repeat them in a timely fashion.

I'm not a defender of assessors because there are some awful decisions and its a horrible process, but some people have to accept for whatever reason they didn't match their difficulties well enough to the PIP criteria.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: alisp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236292 by Perdita
Replied by Perdita on topic PIP
Thank you, appreciate that
Previously i have just attached doctors letters. I have never been sure whether I should quote from them during my descriptions of how I manage an activity. Do people quote their doctors'evidence when they are writing about their difficulties with an activity? My gut instinct is not to.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236294 by BIS
Hi Cruella

Actually, this is one thing I would say do. Either use quotes and reference or just reference I think it is a good reminder to the assessor about the evidence so you help them to link it rather than just have a lot of letters that they won't necessarily put against the right PIP activities. And don't be afraid to use the same letters over and over again.

Eg: I am unable to prepare any type of food due to the severe arthritis I have in my hands (as noted by Dr.X Consultant Rheumatologist - letter dated 3/19/2018 - appendix 1). I have tried to use adapted knives but because my fingers are so bent there is nothing available. "Adapted cutlery has not been found to be successful" (see letter from A Whitmore - occupational therapist 30 June 2019.) ....

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 8 months ago #236296 by Perdita
Replied by Perdita on topic PIP
OK, thank you. So with mental health, there are a lot of things that I am writing on my form, that are the same as I have told the consultant. For example I am writing about anxiety on the form I have when I have to go out, my consultant has written about significant distress I feel when being out. .
Is it worth quoting this type of thing, it is difficult with mental health evidence because consultant letters are largely based on what the patient has to say, rather than evidence like scans etc
So quoting the consultant's words: 'Miss X feels significant distress when out' - is that sort of thing okay to quote/refer to?

More
4 years 8 months ago #236298 by Ellen
Replied by Ellen on topic PIP
BIS is right - describe how the opd manifests for you and what it feels like, what you etc - don't just say I get opd.
All you can do is tell the truth- explain your problems and how they affect you rather than trying to fit them into the pip criteria boxes .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Perdita

More
4 years 8 months ago #236303 by BIS
Hi Cruella

It is always worth quoting what the consultant says - it shows they endorse your views.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.