× Members

PIP home assessment advice please

More
4 years 6 months ago #236821 by Jcele52
PIP home assessment advice please was created by Jcele52
Hi
My 16 year old daughter is currently applying for PIP after being on DLA for 10 years. She has autism, anxiety, lung disease, Cfs and migraine. PIP 2 form was sent in on 25th August and I have today received a phone call from a nurse from PIP helping with my daughters claim. He said that they were happy to do a home assessment for my daughter. I advised that this would be very traumatic for my daughter - she hasn't been to school for 2 years due to anxiety and doesnt leave the house. He advised that because I am her appointee, if my daughter wont come out of her room, they are ok to just pop their head round the door to see my daughter and then check her I.d. They will then happy to speak to me without my daughter being present. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
I advised the nurse that my daughters mental health nurse was the best person to speak to, but he then said that because she has other health problems too they would prefer to just come and speak to me.

Does anyone have any advice?

Sorry for the long post!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #236823 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP home assessment advice please
Hi Jcele52

I know you think the mental health nurse is the best person for the assessor to speak to, but she really isn't. You are the person who can best speak to the PIP criteria - which is what they are most interested in. You will have seen, observed and heard all sorts of things that the professional who only sees your daughter for appointments will never have seen. Whether you think of it or not - you are an expert in your daughter and after herself the person who knows her difficulties the best.

What I would suggest you do, is that you write a letter confirming the conversation that you had today to the DWP and IAS or Capita - setting out what was agreed on the phone. The reason for doing this is you do not want an assessor turning up and trying to do more than just see your daughter's id. So at least then it is on record.

When the assessor comes to your house - the first thing you do is ascertain they have seen that letter and you will only allow them to pop their head around the door and see your daughter and her id. You confirm with them, that they will not try to engage her in any other conversation. Remember this is your house and the assessor is a guest.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #236841 by Jcele52
Replied by Jcele52 on topic PIP home assessment advice please
Thanks for the information. I'm not sure which Company will be coming out. They said I will receive a letter in a week to ten days. I'll draft a letter and wait to see who I need to send it to.

Thanks again

More
4 years 6 months ago #236851 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP home assessment advice please
Hi Jcele52

Send the letter to the DWP now - it was them you spoke to and best it's on the records as soon as possible. Ten days from now someone might want to deny the conversation took place. You can send the one to IAS or Capita when their letter arrives.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #236855 by Jcele52
Thanks again. I will get it done today

More
4 years 5 months ago #238990 by Jcele52
My daughter had the assessment today. The assessor was 30 mins late. I confirmed what the mental health nurse from Capita had said - that they wouldnt need to speak to my daughter just confirm her Id. The assessor said no he has to see my daughter and speak to her. I explained that I had written to capita and dwp 3 times to confirm the conversation as my daughter has severe anxiety and is housebound.. He said no we shouldn't have been told that. He then gave the option to reschedule the assessment. I decided to go ahead as we have waited since August, but explained that I hadn't prepared my daughter for being involved in the full assessment. The assessment then took 70 mins.
My daughter barely contributed to the assessment. The assessor still directed all the questions to her which I then answered. He asked her if she could cook for herself. Can you use a microwave? My daughter nodded. There were no mental tests or questions, just a quick physical. Is this normal? He then asked my daughter can you touch your toes? Put your hands behind your head and then behind your back etc.

I am unsure whether or not to complain about the information given during the initial phone call from Capita. I know they received my last letter as it was sent recorded delivery. My daughter was very upset after the assessment.

Thanks for any advice

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.