× Members

Camly's ESA 2019/20

More
4 years 4 months ago #241722 by LilacGem
Replied by LilacGem on topic Camly's ESA 2019/20
Ahhh Gary you have read me so well there. Thank you so much for taking the time to reassure me- I will do just as you suggest. You have put my mind at rest.

I just don't know what I would do without B&W I really don't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #241843 by LilacGem
Ok so another worry/question please

I’m pretty sure that I qualified for the SG without a F2F, 3 times already via the ‘unable to mobilise 50mtrs' descriptor (I don’t qualify for any of the other SG ones). And I only really had the GP letter as evidence – I have other letters for my mental health too but they wouldn’t qualify me for a 15 point descriptor, esp without a F2F, so I sure it the GP letter that clinched it for me. We will be writing exactly the same thing on my form as the last 3 times. Basically it’s the same submission. Plus in Aug I had a PIP F2F which reported I can’t walk 20mtrs. (I was given enhanced mobility & will be sending the assessors report for that section as evidence too).
But, the original ESA support letter from GP that I used before, didn’t mention a wheelchair. I've quoted the relevant bits below, but the second paragraph was only added recently for PIP in prev ESA submissions it didn't exist. So it now says…

This message contains confidential information

I’d thought that the addition of the daily living difficulties could only be helpful, but now I’m worried…
Knowing that they like to suggest that if you can’t walk 50mtrs you might be able to ‘mobilise’ using a wheelchair instead…. Do you think including the fact that I use a wheelchair could be unhelpful? We do make it clear on the form that I can’t self-propel (for the same reasons I cant walk) - & my carer says in her letter that she has to push me.

I’m so terrified of Drs that I desperately don’t want to have to ask her to modify the letter. But if you think the addition of that paragraph/sentence will suggest I might be able to self propel 50mtrs… What’s your opinion, I know you can’t predict… but do you think my anxiety is making me a bit hypervigilant, or should I try to get that 2nd paragraph modified?

thanks, sorry for long question
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
4 years 4 months ago #241844 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Camly's ESA 2019/20
Camly

I don't think mentioning the wheelchair is an issue, in fact, it may be a positive but you really need to make it clear and explain why you cannot self-propel as this will be the key issue.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilacGem

More
4 years 4 months ago #241845 by LilacGem
Ok, so if I just expand with a really full explanation of why I can't self propel, on the form, that paragraph in the GP letter is more likely to be a help than a hinderance.

More
4 years 4 months ago #241847 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Camly's ESA 2019/20
Camly

Historically the DWP have taken the view that how can a claimant know about their ability to propel a wheelchair if they do not use one, so your having practical experience will I think be an asset.

One comment, make it clear in the first sentence that you cannot self-propel, then explain why don't bury it in the explanation.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilacGem

More
4 years 4 months ago #241848 by LilacGem

Gordon wrote:
One comment, make it clear in the first sentence that you cannot self-propel, then explain why don't bury it in the explanation.

Gordon

thanks so much Gordon that's such a relief.

so previously I ticked 'it varies', then in box I say that at worst I cant even stand up, majority of time cant go more than few mtrs <explaination of why & what happens when I do> with an example. then i said Cannot self propel more than a few mtrs in wheelchair either
And then we go on to explain how far I can walk at my best, (about 30mtrs) (but even then it takes long time frequent stops to rest, unsteady, cant repeat etc etc).

So after 'cannot self propel in wheelchair either' I should describe why in detail...?

It's essentially because it takes as much, if not more energy to propel myself as it does to walk, & has the same effects - makes me dizzy, overwhelming fatigue etc etc.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.