× Members

PIP assessor walked out!

More
4 years 3 months ago #242296 by Dan Statham
Replied by Dan Statham on topic PIP assessor walked out!
IAS / ATOS haven't produced a report they say, but I sent my complaint & cover letter to the DWP today, just in case it gets "lost in the internal mail" between IAS and DWP. I've only had confirmation of receipt from IAS, nothing more from either side. I just hope my complaint gets to the (DWP) decision-maker before they (likely) decide to close my claim or start this rigmarole again.

Is there anything specifically that I should raise that is kinda a big no-no for the assessor, and is more likely to have the decision-maker overturn? I've prolly forgotten most of the conversation, tbh, but I don't know the technicalities, or what to highlight, rly. There's quite a lot, but I mainly said that I was polite, tried to help, tried to provide details; that it was in my interest etcs. I think it seems likely that they said I was failing to cooperate, which I guess makes it easier for the DWP to save money easily. I'm not sure if I'm cynical enough to belive this is a tactic IAS / ATOS / DWP use to meet targets, but it wouldn't surprise me either. It was mainly a surreal, weird experience, like the MP was listening to someone telling her what to say via bluetooth, so different were the two (separate) conversations we seemed to be having at times!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #242299 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP assessor walked out!
Dan

IAS doesn't have any targtets for failing claimants or indeed passing them.

Unless you had someone with you at the assessment, I would keep it simple and as you have just say that it was in your interest to have participated as required and you can think of no reason why the assessment was curtailed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Statham

More
4 years 3 months ago #242450 by Dan Statham
Oh, ok, I'll keep it simple if I ever have chance to put my side "officially". I haven't heard back from the DWP, but I think that I pre-empted your reply. I did repeat exactly what I said before the MP walked out: "I'm happy to answer any questions you have". I'm still quite non-plussed by the experience, rly! I just hope that the decision-maker can take my comments into account, and doesn't just rely on what the MP says - whatever that was.

I guess it's difficult to relax and smile when you're nervous and confused by strange, unexpected personal questions, difficult to look someone in the eye, even, when you're VI. I guess I'll try to relax next time, but it's difficult to know how much you'll be down-graded if you demonstrate you can make someone coffee without scalding yourself! (not always a given =)

Anyway, naybe having someone there would've been a better option, I just hope the offer from a friend "oh my brother (rehab) deals with those guys all the time, there's only three MPs in the county... they have no idea about VI" comes through. It's been reassuring to know that this isn't usual though, appreciate the advice!

Just as a suplemental, who exactly decides to put someone through for a paper review, is it the DWP or IAS? Each time I ask either, they say it's the responsibility of the other. One person at Stockton I spoke to said they'd do it, but nothing happened.

More
4 years 3 months ago #242468 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP assessor walked out!
D

The standard assessment process is as follows, there can be some variation but that is very much the exception.

1. The DWP decide that an assessment is required, this could be for a new claim or a reassessment of an existing claim.

2. They check whether they already have sufficient information to make a Decision without referral to an Assessment Provider, examples would be a Special Rules claim or one where the claimant has a significant life long condition such as paralysis or a loss of use of multiple limbs.

3. If the DWP is not able to make a Decision then they will refer the claim to the relevant Assessment Provider for the claimant's postcode.

4. The AP will then decide whether they can make a recommendation with a face to face interview, they may contact the clamant's medical contacts.

5. If they can't make a recommendation on the information available then an interview will be booked.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Statham

More
4 years 3 months ago #242681 by Dan Statham
I phoned the DWP today after noticing my DLA was less than usual, and it turns out my DLA claim and PIP have been closed, as expected. I had already sent my complaint to DWP on 6th Jan, but it was closed on 18th Dec. They have 28 days to reconsider, which I hope has been passed on to a case manager. I'm supposed to put in writing what reasons I feel should overturn this or something. I feel a bit stressed out, cos I need this cash to pay my bills, doesn't rly go to anything that help me live "independently" beyond that! Now (if) it has been passed on to mandatory reconsideration, will my DLA start back up? The operator didn't say.

Anyway, I have had zero correspondence from DWP, and the operator hung up on me! So I don't know if it's been passed on to a case manager. She started saying "oh because of fake people.. that's why we have to do this for genuine people like you", I guess after seeing the evidence on my file. I started to say "oh, I think the stats show that it's about .4% rate of fraud" and she said "oh you're trying to get me to say things I shouldn't..." and hung up! I guess I shouldn't try to speak to civil servants (?) or (especially) quote B&W - it's not gone very well recently!

More
4 years 3 months ago #242923 by Dan Statham
I sent my appeal (MR?) to the DWP on monday, kept it simple; broadly saying what was said above "no reason to be curtailed", "been waiting ages to tell my side", "eager (impatient almost) to answer questions", "assessor seemed rushed, wanted to give full acct".

I've got a bit more detail back finally, previous letter (from DWP) assumed lost in the post. They sent another, and I got the report from ATOS on the same day (today.) It goes in to some detail, and the details often contradict each other, or are physically impossible. But I guess plausible enough? The MP does indeed say I was "not cooperating". And in the next sentence that I followed their instructions (to be "informal") and sat back down on my couch.

Some of the ridiculous claims made were that I tried to "force" the MP to wear a pair of simispecs (which are made of paper w/ flimsy plastic "lenses") by someone with VI! I did ask twice. Also that I "stood over" the assessor, trying to "intimidate"! From someone with VI (and Charles Bonnet) and neuropathy (feet totally numb) the idea that I could "stand over" someone is quite bizarre. In socks, fall over, unless I was moving, yes! It is a struggle to stand still, maybe I could guess a direction? Without a cane, I guess. That was my main worry when I stood up (to move to my desk where my special mag glasses / PC / magnifier et al are) and I was concentrating too much on avoiding the MP to do much except stagger around, using my legs as "canes". The (multiple) times I moved around was to follow the MPs orders, and the MP accidentally admitted as much.

I'm not sure if it's worth putting this down on paper, it's just my word, no real proof. I'm rly worried though, I desperately need my DLA just worried sick about how this can be left to chance, how one person's word can overrule a stack of medical evidence.

I guess it's pointless trying to work out why, I just think the MP was in a rush, saw I was going to take ages using various devices and thought "no way". I've heard rumours that the MPs get bonuses for "failing" people, is that a theory or is there something to it?

I was told it can take from 28 days to 7 weeks, and it will be a struggle to last without any DLA, I dread to think what will happen to me if it doesn't get overturned...

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.