× Members

ESA-too distressed to attend assessment

More
4 years 2 months ago #244453 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic ESA-too distressed to attend assessment
Hi Lianna

Yes, send it to the Wolverhampton address with a covering letter with your name and national insurance number on it. Don't forget to keep a copy yourself.

The nhs has stopped faxing - because of data protection concerns.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #245516 by lianna
Things have got worse. I sent everything off including a letter from my dad explaining how bad I was. I then received a rescheduled appt for 20th March, followed by a letter saying they had refused either a home visit or a taxi (I had asked for neither, the doctor stated I needed a paper based assessment) due to insufficient medical evidence. (this included my last atos report that said I had significant ongoing mental health problems and should be in an exempt category) and that if I do not attend my benefits would be stopped. I literally psychologically cannot deal with a face to face assessment either at a center (miles away in a really rough area and what about corona!!) or at home. I have written another letter to my mp. What else can I do? I have come out in shingles and self harmed because of this further letter. I'm going to the doctors again to ask for another letter, my regular doctors letters are brief to say the least but I see another one to do with my sleep problems and will ask him.

More
4 years 1 month ago #245518 by BIS
Hi Lianna

I'm really sorry. I am a bit of a loss what to say here. Yes - try and get another letter from your doctor, but it needs to say that your mental health is deteriorating and you should not have a face to face assessment because of the risk of 'overwhelming psychological distress.' The letter does not need to be a long one - just that it needs to unequivocally that you are too ill to attend. If you are able to get such a letter, someone needs to ring on your behalf and say that you have the letter and ask to speak to a senior caseworker. Insist on it. They do exist. The first people that you reach on the phone cannot ake any decisions. If they say they cannot do it immediately you can ask for a call-back. It is the best I can suggest, but you need help to do it. If your doctor is not aware of your recent self-harming - you should tell them when you're trying to get the letter.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 1 month ago #245548 by lianna
thanks so much. I should be able to get the letter from my gp. I'm hoping my MP will help too. Whenever anyone has phoned on my behalf they have insisted on speaking to me and will not go through a 3rd party. The only positive thing is that I'm not sure the shingles has come back, a lump has formed where I had shingles last month, but whatever it is it's stress related!! Ugh, wish I could win the lottery but no chance of that as I don't do it. Thanks for all your help and support.

More
4 years 1 month ago #245562 by Gordon
lianna

Have you seen the GP letter? One of the common causes for a refused home assessment is the GP using words like "could" or "may" when referring to the problems you would have attending, their comments need to be unambiguous.

Gordon

More
4 years 1 month ago #245681 by lianna
Seeing doctor in the morning. Can't even go through with a home visit. They're too judgemental. I look like there's nothing wrong and that's all that matters to them, they don't know or care how I feel inside.
when I had the pip assesment (which I self harmed before and after) I have sciatica but they took away my mobility allowance just because I walked to the toilet (she came out after me and observed me) I know I couldn't face a tribunal so didn't ask for a mandatory reconsideration. That's one reason I'm so distressed by the thought of having to attend another dwp assessment, that one stressed me out so badly and I was so bad mentally before and after.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.