× Members

Recent PIP telephone assessment

More
2 years 9 months ago #260699 by Matey
Recent PIP telephone assessment was created by Matey
I have finally had my PIP review telephone assessment after a seven month wait.

I was absolutely dreading it.

Assessor seemed more interested as you will not be surprised to hear, whether I had typed the information in my pip review, did I drive, was it a manual drive car, and what different meals I cooked.

No question actually addressed my difficulties, when I tried to explain, I had the customary - we'll come back to your conditions later - but we didn't.

All the answers to these questions bar my car being a manual drive, were answered in PIP review forms - had they bothered to look.

Was not asked about planing routes or going on a journey but I hold little doubt, that the fact I can drive a car on the rare occasion I go out, will mean I expect that I can plan routes to the moon and drive to The Isle of Skye without blinking in their opinion.

Afterwards I felt wiped out.

I'm mentally preparing my MR already, and await my copy of the assessment report.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #260713 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Recent PIP telephone assessment
Hello Matey, I can feel your exhaustion as I read your post.

As soon as you have the energy make notes for yourself about the assessment, in particular what you were not given a chance to explain. It just might be useful later.

After 48 hours you can ring the pip helpline and request a copy of the PA4 form, which is the assessors report. You the have a relatively short window of opportunity to say what you believe they got wrong (if that is the case) and send it to be included in the file which will be looked at by the decision maker. If you choose to go down this route make sure that you say that you are providing additional information, not making an MR request.

And after that, sit back and try to forget all about it until the infamous envelope comes through the door.

Hoping it will not be as bad as you fear,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 9 months ago #260731 by makinprogress
Replied by makinprogress on topic Recent PIP telephone assessment
Matey, I could have typed your post! I had my PIP Review telephone call today & it was just as you described. I was told from the outset that it was going to be done ‘brand new from scratch’ even though I’ve been on PIP enhanced & standard mobility since 2013. Things have only gotten worse in that time & particularly in the recent 7 months since I submitted the form. I told her about procedures I’d had, & offered to send in proof (documents, discharge advices etc…)
She said it was unnecessary as no further diagnosis had been made, just ‘investigations’.
(I had a heart loop implant last week, likely to be in for up to three years, she did not want to hear anything about it?!)
I’m as upset & frustrated as you sound. It’s so demoralising and depressing.
Wishing you luck for your decision. (Shouldn’t have anything to do with luck though should it ?)
Kind regards.

More
2 years 9 months ago #260797 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Recent PIP telephone assessment
Hi, your last sentence made me see a vision of Statue of Liberty with her scales of justice being blotted out and replaced by a close up of a spinning roulette wheel... just my visual mind...
Denby

More
2 years 9 months ago #260916 by Matey
Replied by Matey on topic Recent PIP telephone assessment
I've received the assessment report.

Apparently I can prepare and cook a meal, because I can drive. Ignoring anything I or my evidence letters said.

Only need prompting to mix face to face because I know who one side of my next door neighbours are.
Again ignoring my letters of evidence.

I can apparently plan and follow a route etc, because once a week I go to the supermarket a five minute drive away.

There were lots of "smaller" mistakes, like I've apparently had a colonoscopy (I have not).

I noticed in the evidence stated was my pip form of over five years ago, where I had to go to a tribunal to be awarded PIP.

My biggest mistake was not insisting on my assessment by a physiotherapist being recorded.

More
2 years 9 months ago #260924 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Recent PIP telephone assessment
Hi Matey

Unfortunately we come across your situation on a frequent basis.

Now you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and you will now be able to argue against them.

I usually use a highlighter to highlight any inaccuracies, once you have gone through the report you then set out why you are applying for a MR and go through each descriptor one at a time why you disagree with the assessor and try and match it with any supporting documents you may have sent in.

Understand that the assessor is offering an opinion when they say that you can do the PIP activities, tackling these head-on is unlikely to be successful, you need to show that the basis of that opinion is founded on incorrect information, so try and refer to your evidence to undermine what they have said.

Also, try and stick to issues that lead to your scoring points, I often hear members referring to the assessors spelling, as an example, whilst it may show a lack of professionalism, raising it as an issue isn't going to help you get an award.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

Lastly, make sure that you understand the criteria that you are being assessed against you can put the best case forward that is possible but you won't score points if you do not meet the PIP Descriptors.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide, half way down the page for details of the process, the PIP area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: guruji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.