× Members

Phoned to find if any update(s) on PIP renewal.

More
2 years 8 months ago #261862 by phrank
Hi there,

I phoned ATOS today to see if there was any update on my PIP renewal. It's into it's tenth week now so was getting a bit uptight that I've heard nothing - not even an acknowledgement text or anything.

It turned out that they unknowingly (at the time) just transferred me to the PIP helpline.

Anyway, a very understanding lady took the time to find out what has been going on.

She confirmed it was with the assessment provider ATOS. I explained that my GP surgery had written a letter to request a paper based assessment and not a telephone one nor a face to face because of my poor state of mind at the moment.

She read this then put me on hold while she spoke to a case manager. She then told me as none of them were medically trained it had been sent to ATOS to which I said it didn't need anyone medically trained to interpret from my letter plus other evidence that the way my condition affects me now is no different to my last assessment.

She then said my letter said my condition had deteriorated. The letter actually says my mental health has deteriorated due to Covid but my disability remains the same.

I think they were arguing that this is why it was now in the hands of the assessment provider.

I'm so mixed up. I really thought I might get that all important paper based review and now am worried silly that it will be a telephone assessment.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? She did say I had provided plenty of evidence including the letter but if this was deemed not enough she was afraid that it would be a telephone assessment.

Sorry to ramble on but I feel I may have caused more problems phoning and now wish I hadn't bothered.

Regards,

Phrank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #261864 by BIS
Hi Phrank

You have not made things worse by trying to find out what is going on. The assessment provider may still come back and give you a paper-based assessment. If they try for a phone assessment, the system has now changed and you can appeal to them to change their mind and the decision would be looked at again. You can appeal a second time if it didn't go your way. Obviously, you don't want the stress of that happening and it may not come to that, but wait and see until you hear from IAS (formerly ATOS)

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 8 months ago #261871 by denby
Hi Phrank, I did not even try to get a paper based assessment for our daughter until they booked her a telephone one during the lockdown last year. I was able to do this after calling and asking to speak to a case manager, who called me back two days later. I did then also get a GP letter confirming.
So my idea for you is, have a friend or relative call to say you cannot cope with a phone one, if by any chance they do try to book you one. If you do not phone yourself they cannot say 'oh you coped with that.'
Best wishes,
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 years 8 months ago #261873 by phrank
Hi Bis,

Thanks for your really swift reply, advice and - most importantly -reassurance. I didn't know there was an appeal system for challenging against telephone assessments.

That's the beauty about this site; you are never out there on your own.

Phew. I'm so glad I did post that post earlier today as it was eating away at me.

For now I will sit it out for a while longer as you suggest, BIS - and see what happens. I just wish I could trust ATOS, but with my past experiences, particularly the last one, it will take a hell of s long time.

Kind regards,

Phrank..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 years 8 months ago #261881 by phrank
Hi Denby,

Thanks for your sound advice. However, I haven't got anyone who could phone for me.

When I did speak to the DWP yesterday the lady could tell I was distressed and said so.

I'm thinking if I have to face a phone assessment I might just forget the whole thing and just concentrate on my state pension early next year. I'm too old and battered to go through with what happened 3 years ago.

Kind regards,

Phrank.

More
2 years 8 months ago #261882 by an ex nurse
Replied by an ex nurse on topic Phoned to find if any update(s) on PIP renewal.
Hi Phrank , sending you lots of support. Think carefully about discontinuing as there are some good assessors out there as well. Most people who post on forums have had bad experiences, but some people have good ones too and are less likely to seek advice from forums.

Hopefully the lady yesterday made a note that you were distressed and this will be taken in to account when deciding about an assessment.

This process is brutal and the only advice I can give is take things one day at a time. Try and relax a little today and look after yourself. There are lots of people on here to support you so don't feel alone.
Sending you all good wishes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith, denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.