× Members

My PIP Telephone Assessment Today

More
1 year 10 months ago #271367 by UC:
Replied by UC: on topic My PIP Telephone Assessment Today
Thanks BIS!
I guess I am in the same situation as the majority of PIP claimants!

That of the 'stressful waiting game'!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #271655 by UC:
Good evening to all!
A bit of a strange one here.......

I received a letter from DWP (Belfast Office) advising that they had received all of the necessary documentation to allow them to establish if I met the criteria for PIP. (Remember the PA4 Form indicated that the Health Professional felt that I met the criteria for enhanced for both components). This letter was dated 09/06/22 and I am still waiting for an official decision......

What is strange is the following.......

A chance conversation with a Benefits Advisor yesterday (22/06/22) resulted in my completing an online application for new style ESA, which I had no idea that I qualified for. I have no knowledge or experience of ESA and will download the accompanying guides to enhance my knowledge.

My application was based on the fact that I retired due to ill health in December 2021 and that I was employed with continuous fully paid NI contributions for more than three years. I am in receipt of an occupational pension. (I am 60 in August).

My application was submitted online yesterday, 22/06/22.

Imagine my surprise when I was contacted by HMRC and my Occupational Pension only this morning, advising me to log into my online PAYE account with HRMC due to a notification of Tax Code change.

My PAYE Tax Code for the next financial year has changed, due to the inclusion of an ESA reference, with an estimated ESA annual benefit/income of £5,121!

This prompts so many questions!

Does this mean that my application for ESA was processed, and approved in one day? I find that very hard to believe! I have received no formal contact from DWP with regard to this application.

Can anyone advise how this annual figure has been calculated? It doesn't relate what I have researched with regard to ESA Benefit payments.

Is ESA a Taxable Benefit?

This annual ESA sum/inclusion in my PAYE summary for the next Tax Year has resulted in a reduced sum of £73.40 per month in my Occupational Pension. A lot of money to me.......

Will any award of new style ESA offset this monthly reduction?

How would enhanced rate for both components of PIP (If Decision Maker of DWP were to award this) impact upon ESA? What ESA group would I be placed in?

Has such an application been to my advantage? So confused at the moment........

So many questions, for which I apologise for, but, at the same time, hoping that someone more experienced than I might be in a position to shed a bit of light on!

Thank you so much in advance!

More
1 year 9 months ago #271674 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic My PIP Telephone Assessment Today
Hi UC

You need to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation as they can take all your circumstances into consideration. advicelocal.uk

By the sounds of it you have spoken to someone at DWP who knows what they are talking about and have been pro-active, you have been awarded NS ESA which is contribution based, I would assume that you will get a UC50 form to complete in due course to see which group you will be placed in, if placed in the support group then your claim will be indefinite until next re-assessed. if placed in the LCW group then your claim will stop after 52 weeks.

in regards to calculations: As you are now receiving Contribution Based ESA, if the occupational pension is more then £85/week then there will be a £1/week deduction for every £2 in excess of the £85.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 9 months ago #271676 by UC:
Many thanks for responding Gary!

The Benefits Advisor that provided such advice was a representative of CISWO: The Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation. I was an ex coal miner and this organisation contacted me on an entirely different matter before providing the ESA advice.

I am quite surprised that my application was received and approved in 24 hours, with DWP contacting HMRC before me!

I shall keep you updated!

Many thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
1 year 9 months ago #271688 by Caz1
Replied by Caz1 on topic My PIP Telephone Assessment Today
Hi,
I got the exact info and it went 7weeks, good luck

More
1 year 9 months ago #271705 by UC:
Thanks Caz1!
Notwithstanding the challenge of completing and submitting PIP and ESA applications, the waiting period is a lottery!

We hear of hear of PIP applications taking 6 weeks from initial application to decision, yet I am close to 7 months and still no decision.

Yet HMRC can commence taking tax from my Occupational Pension immediately, for ESA benefits I may be waiting a further two months to receive! DWP certainly on the ball there! No waiting for HMRC!

Apologies for the rant! Just feeling worn down by it all!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.