× Members

IB TO ESA

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #107724 by Bax
Replied by Bax on topic IB TO ESA
Hi

Received the ESA50 01/13 through yesterday.
We have decided to wait until after we come back from a short break at the end of this week before broaching what is a very daunting form.
We have till Aug 20th to return to DWP.
I have been all over the net searching for advice on how to actually approach the questions as I am fearful of letting my wife down.
What if I am unable to explain well enough how her eyesight & arthritis affects her everyday life?
Reading stories elsewhere about visually impaired people being found fit to work has not helped either.
On the RNIB site they advise that some blind / partially sighted people applying for ESA may be better claiming JSA instead as there is a disability premium included.
I am not sure if this would be in our best interests or not?
I have tried without success to find out whether the 24 hrs working exemption rule for partners on the middle rate care component of DLA with ESA would apply to (IR) JSA as well ?
Any advice appreciated.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #107740 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IB TO ESA
Bax

Please be aware that 20 August is a fixed date, it is extremely unlikely that the DWP will extend the period for completing the ESA50 and the form needs to be back with ATOS by this date.

My best advice for completing the form is to go through our ESA Claim guides, these explain exactly what the actual criteria for each question are, rather than what is printed on the form.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

If you also have a look at the WCA Handbook, also in the Members Only area, this explains the way that ATOS carry out their assessment, and in particular for sight problems, the specific limitations on sight that they use.

I cannot comment on whether it would be better for your wife to claim JSA, but she will be required to seek work and attend the JC+ on a regular basis on the threat of sanctions being applied. As far as I am aware the 24 hour work rule applies to ESA only.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #107882 by Bax
Hi Gordon

Many thanks for the advice given on points raised as well as the links provided.
I have been doing some more research.

See below.

....................................................................................................................

[Modedit}

Bax

I have deleted the majority of your post as you have copy/pasted from another site which breaks forum rules on copyright and quite clearly, the rule in relation to the length of posts.

I have no problem if you wish to include a link to the page in question, but I am really not clear what your intention was in regard to this post. :(

Gordon
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 9 months ago #107962 by Bax
Hi Gordon,

Firstly let me apologize, I was not aware that members were not permitted to copy & paste from other sites.
I am surprised my initial post made it through the mods in that case.
My intentions were only to help other members who may be in a similar situation to ourselves.
I am panicking as to how to go about completing my wife`s forms but determined to do the best I can for her as well.
On reading similar cases If I can get her into the WRAG group then I feel that would be about as well as i could do for her.
She is registered blind but that does`nt seem to count for much with ATOS.

• bro58
10 years 9 months ago #107986 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic IB TO ESA

Bax wrote: Hi Gordon,

Firstly let me apologize, I was not aware that members were not permitted to copy & paste from other sites.
I am surprised my initial post made it through the mods in that case.
My intentions were only to help other members who may be in a similar situation to ourselves.
I am panicking as to how to go about completing my wife`s forms but determined to do the best I can for her as well.
On reading similar cases If I can get her into the WRAG group then I feel that would be about as well as i could do for her.
She is registered blind but that does`nt seem to count for much with ATOS.

Hi B,

You may also find some helpful information on The RNIB website :

www.rnib.org.uk/livingwithsightloss/your.../Pages/benefits.aspx

bro58

More
10 years 9 months ago #108021 by Bax
Cheers Bro.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.