× Members

Phone Call

More
10 years 2 months ago #117005 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Phone Call

mickeytum wrote: Had my results back on the 3rd of Feb.... I failed the atos test....
I am shocked and feel lost....
I worked for 25 years for the same company until the year 2000 , when I was pensioned off because of rheumatoid ,psoriatic arthritis..
Are atos saying all the people who originally diagnosed me then and since are lying..
I want to appeal but I honestly don't know how to go about it.. Reading the other posts ,and not being any good with technology, I don't know if I can do it...
If some one could give me advice in as simple as possible language as they can and in what order, it would help massively... Many thanks in advance..

The ESA assessment does not test your ability to work, but rather whether you meet 17 tests of your disability, unfortunately, it is perfectly possible to be found Unfit for Work by an employer and Fit for Work by the DWP.

You have a number of options.

You can challenge the Decision not to award you ESA. The first stage of this is to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, you normally have one month to do this from the date of the Decision letter on your ESA. You will not be paid while the MR is carried out, if your finances will not tolerate this you can claim JSA but will have to make a Job Search commitment. If the MR does not overturn the Decision then you can lodge an appeal with the Tribunal Service, once this is accepted you should be eligible for the ESA Assessment rate providing you are still covered by a Fit Note.

You can make a new claim for ESA, this can be done in parallel to any challenge to the previous Decision that you might make, however, you will not be paid unless you have a new or deteriorated condition, or six months have elapsed since the Decision not to award ESA.

Have a look at the following and if you have more questions, please reply to this post.

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

ESA MR and Appeal guide

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickeytum
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117015 by mickeytum
Replied by mickeytum on topic Phone Call
Thank you for the advice....
Having checked the scoring page on the site, I reckon I should get at least 23 points...
I can walk but am in constant pain,
I can walk up stairs, but I need to hold the rail..
I can stand still for a while ,but it hurts more than walking..
I cannot bend my knees , that really hurts and to kneel it REALLY hurts..
I can sit but again I have to get up intermittently and move around...
I do drive, but as I am single I HAVE to do these things..
All these things didn't score any points..is that right or have I read the points list wrong.?
If I do claim job seekers would it be an admission of being able to work and count against me...
I know I may not be as I'll as the majority of people on here but it still seems wrong to me...
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117018 by Gordon
mickeytum

Obviously we do not know your condition(s) or how they affect you so I am responding purely in the context of the legislation. It is important to note that the questions on the ESA50 are not a direct representation of the legislation which claimants are assessed against.

- It is not a walking test, but rather a mobility test that includes your ability to propel a manual wheelchair, whether you use or even own one is not relevant, providing the usage is deemed to be reasonable. So even if you were unable to walk but could propel a wheelchair 200m you would not score any points.

- The test is two steps even with the use of a handrail.

- The test is your ability to Stand and Sit so even if you cannot stand for one minute, if you can sit for 60 minutes without problem you will not score points.

- There is no longer a test for kneeling.

- As above, even if you have to move between standing and sitting repeatedly, it will be the total of the two which will be considered unless you need to "move away in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion"

- Whether you are able to drive or not is not tested although your ability to do so will result in assumptions in regard to your capabilities in other areas, in particular, sitting.

None of the above means that you do not actually qualify for ESA, but you will need to show that you do. Have a look at our ESA Claim guides for more information.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

You have already been found Fit for Work, so the DWP cannot infer legally infer anything by your claiming JSA, if you apply for a Mandatory Reconsideration then the DWP should allow you to limit the type of work you will required to look for, but you should be aware that they can refuse a claim for JSA if they believe that the limitations you are placing on your claim would prevent you from finding work.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• mickeytum
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117025 by mickeytum
Replied by mickeytum on topic Phone Call
Can I get access to all the papers that atos have read and if so how do I go about it...
What do I say when ringing or writing about my decision to appeal.. Do I say or write why I think I am appealing their decision...
If I do claim job seekers allowance, would that enable me to any other benefits...
Sorry for being so stupid but I am really struggling at the moment at what I should do..
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117026 by Gordon

mickeytum wrote: Can I get access to all the papers that atos have read and if so how do I go about it...
What do I say when ringing or writing about my decision to appeal.. Do I say or write why I think I am appealing their decision...
If I do claim job seekers allowance, would that enable me to any other benefits...
Sorry for being so stupid but I am really struggling at the moment at what I should do..

You can request the papers by contacting the DWP office that dealt with your claim, you can do this over the phone, but we recommend following up the request in writing.

ESA medical – what forms to ask for?

At this time you can only request a Mandatory Reconsideration, you do not need to provide reasons at this stage, but you will if you need to appeal. The process is explained in more detail in the ESA MR and Appeal guide that I posted a link to earlier.

You may also be eligible for Housing Benefit, you can claim this even if you do not do so for JSA, as a nil income claim, whether you are entitled or not will depend on your personal circumstances.

Gorodn

• Daisy
10 years 2 months ago #117041 by Daisy
Replied by Daisy on topic Phone Call
Good luck Mickeytum - I am in exactly the same position. I was devastated particularly after reading the Atos nurse's report. I very much regret not having the medical recorded as it would definitely have been done differently.
I have been to the job centre and while I am on job seeker's allowance - they say I must be able to travel for work up to 3 hrs every day. I think they are trying to kill me!!!

So good luck to you, get good advice and hope it goes well for you.

xx

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.