× Members

ESA/PIP additional information

More
8 years 9 months ago #139252 by tedthered64
Replied by tedthered64 on topic ESA/PIP additional information

Gordon wrote:

tedthered64 wrote: Hi,
My ESA application is ongoing, Is it worthwhile me telephoning DWP to inform that my doctor has referred me to wheelchair services and that fact that I am now using a wheelchair?

I was hoping that this may edge them towards making a paper based decision although it is probably wishful thinking on my part :)

You would need to inform Maximus not the DWP in the first instance as your file is with them for assessment.

ESA considers you ability to use a wheelchair, so using one will not be of assistance to your meeting the Mobility criteria unless you can show that you cannot self-propel it, see the ESA Claim guides for a full explanation,

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Thanks Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago #139257 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA/PIP additional information

Gordon wrote:

tedthered64 wrote: Hi,
My ESA application is ongoing, Is it worthwhile me telephoning DWP to inform that my doctor has referred me to wheelchair services and that fact that I am now using a wheelchair?

I was hoping that this may edge them towards making a paper based decision although it is probably wishful thinking on my part :)

You would need to inform Maximus not the DWP in the first instance as your file is with them for assessment.

ESA considers you ability to use a wheelchair, so using one will not be of assistance to your meeting the Mobility criteria unless you can show that you cannot self-propel it, see the ESA Claim guides for a full explanation,

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

As explained : Here in t64's other topic.

bro58

More
8 years 8 months ago #139929 by tedthered64
Hi guys,
I have my ESA assessment next week and was hoping you could advise me please.

Since filling out my initial claim form I have medical evidence to show that I have been referred and advised by GP to use a wheelchair instead of walking due to my deteriating condition,
(I am awaiting 2 total hip replacements and a knee replacement) and have a variety of other illnesses.

I can't use a self propelled chair because of long standing angina that is getting worse and I am currently under the ischemic heart consultant.

I can't transfer from one chair to another without assistance because of the deteriating leg problems.

With all of the above in mind imo I clearly meet the descriptors for limited capability for work, I.e
1a (I) mobilising 50 metres and
2 transferring from seated position

Am I right in thinking that this should put me straight into the support group and do I inform the assessor of this prior to the assessment when I give them the updated information.

I don't want to upset the assessor and get them on the wrong side from the off but I would like them to be aware that this is currently the position that I unfortunately find myself in.

I hope this makes sense, please accept my apologies if it doesn't,
Ted

More
8 years 8 months ago #139935 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA/PIP additional information
Ted

You need to document these changes and attach the medical evidence, if there is time you might want to send a copy to the Assessment Centre before your appointment, you should certainly take a copy of this information to the assessment and ask the assessor to read it before continuing with the interview and include it in your file when returned to the DWP. I would also send a copy to the DWP office that is dealing with your claim, marked for the attention of the Decision Maker.

I see no problem with you mentioning your thoughts to the assessor but I would be surprised if they take it at face value and would expect them to go through the assessment and make their own recommendation to the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: tedthered64

More
8 years 8 months ago #139936 by tedthered64
Thanks Gordon

More
8 years 8 months ago #140173 by tedthered64
Hi all,
Had my ESA assessment today and I have to say never in my entire life have I come across a so called "medical professional" like the one who assessed me today!

He introduced himself and stated he was a male nurse and he would be assessing me today.

He was unshaven, wore an ill fitting shirt which was hanging out of his out of his trousers, when he sat down his bare flesh was bursting through his buttons, he was unprofessional at best but worse of all when he examined my hands, his hands were dirty and badly nicotine stained!

Both myself and my companion were nearly physically sick!

He failed to read the exhaustive information that I took with me, even after me asking him to, although I made sure he kept it to send to DWP, and he even disappeared for 20 mins to speak to a senior colleague after seeing my wheelchair referral, I have no idea why,

He was rude and arrogant but I am happy to say after reading all the advice given to me on this site, that I was able to overcome it and get all my points across.

He said in conclusion that next step is someone will contact my GP and then I will get a decision.

Irrespective of what he says because of his attitude and appearance I do not hold out any hope of a positive decision but to stay a step ahead of him I have already made an appointment with my GP to inform her of what happened and ask for her support, which I do not doubt she will give me as everything I say is backed up by medical fact!

Thanks for all the help and support that you gave given me.
Ted

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.