× Members

Re Support Group Descriptor ?

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #106248 by ESA Headache
Replied by ESA Headache on topic Re Support Group Descriptor ?
At my ESA assessment I scored nothing and written on the Atos medical report sheet under manual dexterity 'none of the above apply' is written although in the report is states that I can use a telephone keypad, (which is correct), but although I did tell the Atos assessor re being unable to turn pages of a book due to neurological condition affecting 'fine finger movements' that is not recorded.

When the reconsideration was done the Decision Maker spoke to me on the phone and I explained why I have trouble 'turning pages of a book' but can press keypad and I did ask whether to fulfil the support group criteria I had to be unable to complete BOTH pressing a phone keypad and also turn pages of a book and I was told I needed only to be able to perform 1 to meet support group criteria.

I received my appeal letter and reconsideration statement in the Decision Makers 'review' it states 'unable to turn the pages of a book with either hand, this is accepted but can press a button etc etc
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #106249 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re Support Group Descriptor ?

ESA Headache wrote: At my ESA assessment I scored nothing and written on the Atos medical report sheet under manual dexterity 'none of the above apply' is written although in the report is states that I can use a telephone keypad, (which is correct), but although I did tell the Atos assessor re being unable to turn pages of a book due to neurological condition affecting 'fine finger movements' that is not recorded.

When the reconsideration was done the Decision Maker spoke to me on the phone and I explained why I have trouble 'turning pages of a book' but can press keypad and I did ask whether to fulfil the support group criteria I had to be unable to complete BOTH pressing a phone keypad and also turn pages of a book and I was told I needed only to be able to perform 1 to meet support group criteria.

I received my appeal letter and reconsideration statement in the Decision Makers 'review' it states 'unable to turn the pages of a book with either hand, this is accepted but can press a button etc etc

And for completeness, the problem with turning the pages of a book, it affects both of your hands?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #106250 by ESA Headache
Yes it affect both hands, but I can hold a pen for short periods of time to sign etc, although I drop things a lot as I can't feel whether I am holding it or not, it is a neurological condition that affects 'fine finger movements, feeling etc'

More
10 years 10 months ago #106251 by Gordon

ESA Headache wrote: Yes it affect both hands, but I can hold a pen for short periods of time to sign etc, although I drop things a lot as I can't feel whether I am holding it or not, it is a neurological condition that affects 'fine finger movements, feeling etc'

Based on what you have posted, in principle you should be in the Support Group because you meet the criteria for 5.a(ii).

However, I am concerned that you scored no points for this descriptor at the assessment. The DWP Decision Maker is not medically trained and it would be unusual for them to override the medical opinion of an ATOS assessor to this degree.

So, you should have a careful look at the medical evidence you have so far presented to confirm that it supportive of a SG Decision.

It is also worth pointing out in your submission that the DM has conceded that you are "unable to turn the pages of book", and that this should qualify for you for the Support Group, if you are lucky it may still result in a revision before a Tribunal hearing is convened.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #106255 by ESA Headache
Gordon

Please can you explain 'It is also worth pointing out in your submission that the DM has conceded that you are "unable to turn the pages of book", and that this should qualify for you for the Support Group, if you are lucky it may still result in a revision before a Tribunal hearing is convened'.

Do you mean that the Tribunal maybe will pick up the point in question or if not what could you advise I do now?

More
10 years 10 months ago #106259 by Gordon

ESA Headache wrote: Gordon

Please can you explain 'It is also worth pointing out in your submission that the DM has conceded that you are "unable to turn the pages of book", and that this should qualify for you for the Support Group, if you are lucky it may still result in a revision before a Tribunal hearing is convened'.

Do you mean that the Tribunal maybe will pick up the point in question or if not what could you advise I do now?

It is certainly worth pointing it out to the Tribunal as it is an admission by the DWP that you meet the criteria for the Support Group, but in addition, any submission you make will be copied to the DWP, and there is a chance, albeit slim, that they will realise that the concession should hand the case to you.

Also, you should consider getting face to face advice from a trained advisor. A well worded letter to the DWP referencing the relevant legislation may also force the DWP's hand.

Where to get advice?

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.