× Members

TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES

More
8 years 10 months ago #137614 by freefee
Replied by freefee on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES
he said changes would not apply to people in the support group of esa or dla claimants, and only to new claims, my question is although I have been in the support group for many years, I returned my forms for reassessment in 2013, does this mean I will be classed as a new claimant as I have heard nothing since, the changes being a freeze in payment increases, basically what I want to know is although I have been in the support group and on DLA for many years, what is my status claimant wise?
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 10 months ago #137615 by Noxem
Replied by Noxem on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES
My understanding of what they've said is that present claimants in the Support group of ESA will not lose money, but my friend is on the contribution-based version of ESA which there had previously been talk of scrapping. Can you confirm whether contribution-based ESA has been mentioned specifically, one way or the other?

She also wants to know whether DLA/PIP will be taxed.

Thanks so much for making this thread.
  • bro58
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #137616 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES

petpud wrote: Hi like everyone I have been dreading this budget - with your help I fought and won ESA SA was I correct in hearing G.O say that DLA, PIP and SA would go up in line with inflation? Also I am in receipt of HB if he freezes it but my HA put the rent up does that mean I have to find more money?

I am glad that the people who can work will finally get a living wage my calc is 30hrs x £9 = £270 with tax thresholds rises it means workerscan keep more - but people who cannot work thru no fault of their own are going to pay more out - council tax and rent where does he think we will get it from?

Never mind the sick people who are on WRAG and looks like they will have a reduction in their benefit.

Hi pp,

We are not yet privy to the detail of the "Headline Announcements" but from what Osborne has announced thus far :

There will be a 4 year freeze on all Working Age Benefits excluding DLA, PIP, ESA Support Group (SG) and Maternity Allowance. (Currently in place, extended until 2020/21)

NEW ESA Claimants who are placed into The WRAG will be paid the same rate as JSA claimants. (From April 2017)

Regarding Social Housing Rents, which we don't really advise on, thus far the only announcements that I am aware of are :

Social Housing Providers HA's etc, will have to cut rents by 1%/Year for the next 4 years.(From April 2016)

Social Housing Tenants will have to pay up to Market Rent if their earnings exceed 40K in London or 30K elsewhere, no more rent subsidies for them. (From April 2018)

An end to automatic entitlement to HB for 18-21 Year Olds. (From April 2018)

Regarding : SMI which some IR ESA recipients may also be in receipt of, apparently this is changing from a "benefit" to a "loan". (From April 2018)

See : This Article.

The reduction in The Overall Benefits Cap to £23K in London and £20K elsewhere may result in reduced HB entitlement for claimants that are not exempt from the : The Overall Benefits Cap. (From April 2016)

The above link is relevant before the deductions announced in the Budget.(In force until April 2016)

However, even though there have been reductions to The Benefits Cap, we are not aware of any changes to the "Exempt" Households Groups.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by bro58.
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #137620 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES

="freefee" post=137614]he said changes would not apply to people in the support group of esa or dla claimants, and only to new claims, my question is although I have been in the support group for many years, I returned my forms for reassessment in 2013, does this mean I will be classed as a new claimant as I have heard nothing since, the changes being a freeze in payment increases, basically what I want to know is although I have been in the support group and on DLA for many years, what is my status claimant wise?

You are clearly not a 'new' claimant.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by bro58.
The following user(s) said Thank You: freefee
More
8 years 10 months ago #137621 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES

Ykoriana wrote: Can you confirm whether contribution-based ESA has been mentioned specifically, one way or the other?

She also wants to know whether DLA/PIP will be taxed.

Thanks so much for making this thread.

I don't think we have any information about that yet.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
  • bro58
8 years 10 months ago #137622 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES
Hi,

There was no "Headline Announcement" from Osborne regarding Taxing DLA or PIP.

Nor was there any announcement regarding making ALL ESA an Income Related (IR) Means Tested Benefit, as was suggested prior to The Budget.

bro58
Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.