× Members

New Style ESA

More
2 years 3 months ago #266743 by Mrs H
Replied by Mrs H on topic New Style ESA
Angel, and anyone else who may be willing and able to help me.

Please would you give me additional advice?

I'm currently receiving £74 odd for ESA per week, paid fortnightly, and I've received this since mid July 2021. I understand that after 13 weeks the DWP decides if they will place you in the support group or keep paying you in the assessment phase. I'm due to give another 3-month sick note to them at the end of this month and wonder if they will then keep me in the assessment mode, or put me in the support group. My medical condition has not changed, and I'm still in the Clinically Vulnerable Group, and I'm still completely self-isolating. Do you think I should get some statement from my GP confirn=ming this, and submit this GP assessment with my next sick note? So far, I've been receiving the Employment-related ESA since July 2021, as I mentioned.

Do I just leave things as they are and see what the DWP do after I submit my 28th Jan 2022 sick not? Also, if they do decide to put me in the support group, would they be likely to pay me the £114 odd per week after that?

Please advise,

LH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #266773 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic New Style ESA
Hi Mrs H

You should carry on supplying a 'fit note' until you are told by the DWP that they are no longer required.

NS ESA will last for 365 days, at the end of the period it will stop unless you have had an assessment and placed in the support group, in which case your claim will not be limited to 12 months.

When you first apply for NS ESA you are placed in the assessment phase, (you should be sent a UC 50 form to complete), the assessment phase usually lasts for 13 weeks after which you should have an assessment. The work capability assessment looks at 2 things, (1) whether or not you are 'fit for work', you need to get 15 points or more (2) whether or not you are treated as having a limited capability for work related activity and placed in the support group.

Check out our guide for help; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs H

More
2 years 3 months ago #266776 by traceytracey
Replied by traceytracey on topic New Style ESA
Hi Mrs H,
Exactly what Gary said about esa, I would phone them and ask when your review would be? as if you don't get an assesment your esa will stop after a year as gary said.

I will point out to you that people in the clinicaly vulnerable group were told last year to stop sheilding (me being one of them) and unfortunately because you have decided to continue this it is your decision, I totally get why, its very scary to start going out :(. I currently work in a doctors surgery and do not think you would get a letter from them based on this. :( as it is not now a government instruction. But anything is worth a try.

I wish you luck in your claim, fingers crossed for you
Let us know how you get on

More
2 years 3 months ago #266780 by Mrs H
Hello Gary,

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

In early Dec 2021 of last year, I was informed that my PIP claim has now been allowed (after I asked them to look again at their previous ‘decline’ decision). And as of the 12th of Jan 2021, I have been awarded £60.00 for the Daily Living Component, and £23.70 for Mobility, as of the 12th of April 2021.

How would this assessment and award influence the processing and maintenance of my NS ESA situation? Are the two awards connected in some way? They are both administered by the DWP, and presumably, the DWP knows what a particular claimant has been awarded?

Please advise when you have a spare moment.

Kind regards

LH

More
2 years 3 months ago #266788 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic New Style ESA
HI Mrs H

The government have talked about simplifying the system to stop claimants from being assessed several times for similar benefits but no changes have been made yet. And so as it stands your PIP assessment will not be taken on board for your ESA as the criteria for the two benefits is not identical. Yes the DWP is aware of which benefits a claimant has been awarded or is in the process of claiming.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 3 months ago #266802 by Mrs H
Many thanks for your reply and for being there to ask for advice. Don’t know what I’d do without you all. Take care.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.