× Members

New Style ESA

More
2 years 6 months ago #264603 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic New Style ESA
Hi Mrs H

The first question I would ask you is who actually completed the form, if it was you then your husband does not have to complete page 23. If your husband completed the form then he will need to explain why he completed the form, such as you are unable to hold a pen due to raynauds syndrome, osteoarthritis, poor eye sight etc

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #264613 by Mrs H
Replied by Mrs H on topic New Style ESA
Hi there.. many thanks for your help so far.

Regarding the completion and submission of the ESA50 form.

My husband is planning to complete page 23 and then to say that he filled the form in on my behalf, but the answers he supplied were my thoughts and my conclusions regarding each question.

He helped me put the answers in good English, plus he typed out each answer and pasted it into each answer box on the form so that the answers are clear and concise. If any answers could not easily fit into any particular box he typed the required details onto separate sheets which were then attached to the end of the form.

The reasons he assisted me are as follows:

0/ My hands tend to have pains in them and after a fairly short time when writing, I have to break off. It is much easier for me if someone else fills the form in on my behalf.

1/ My concentration and consistency of approach are not good, neither is my application when filling out long complicated official forms. If he had not helped me fill the form, then I would not have filled it in at all.
2/ My handwriting is naturally quite poor and quite often it can’t easily be read. I appreciate that the form asks for capital letters to be used.

3/ Some of the wording used on the form is not fully understood by me and my husband explained what the wording was actually asking me to consider.

4/ My combination of illnesses makes for reduced concentration and also makes expressing my ideas more difficult.

5/ I am not from the UK originally, and hence I tend to still think and write in Russian, even though I have been in the UK for 17 years now. I still find that I have to think of what is being said or read in English, and then translate it into it’s Russian equivalent.

Please give me your conclusions and advice.

Thanks.

RH

More
2 years 6 months ago #264643 by Mrs H
I decided to send this form Health Questionnaire Form in without the direct assistance of my husband.. You have to always try to do what you can yourself, and not be too dependant on other people. Kind regards, Luda

More
2 years 6 months ago #264668 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic New Style ESA
Hi Mrs H

I always say you have to be truthful to yourself, if your husband has helped you to complete the form, then say so, and why he has helped.

There is no shame in getting assistance from your husband, it just shows that you do struggle and need help with everyday things.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs H

More
2 years 6 months ago #264985 by Mrs H
Hi Folks,

Just sent in my New Style ESA Health Questionnaire and I've got my fingers crossed.

Regarding my PIP claim, submitted on 12th Jan 2021, and only just finally assessed: the DWP have kicked back my application and only given me 6 for Daily Living and 4 for Mobility. I don't quite know which world that these assessors are living, but I get the impression that one side of the DWP has helpful staff working for them, and the other side (the Private assessors) has a different set of people working for them. Maybe the Private Assessors get a bonus for every applicant that they deny a benefit to?

Anyhow, I'm not sure what to do now. My husband rang up the 088 121 4433 number and after 55 mins managed to speak to a nice young chappy called Chris. Chris advised that I send in my response to the failed decision before the cut-off date and that I use bullet points to indicate where the assessor may have missed some important points about my health situation.

Any advice that may be available would be much appreciated. Thanks.

More
2 years 6 months ago #265000 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic New Style ESA
Hello Mrs H,

I am sorry to hear about the outcome of your PIP assessment. The technical bit of my answer is that you now need to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, very often known as a MR. This is basically saying that you believe the DWP made a mistake and you are asking them to look at it again. You have a month in which to do that, although if there is a good reason why a month is not long enough you can ask for a bit of extra time.

I think everyone has a different way of doing a MR, it can be as simple as what I have just described, but you (and your clearly supportive husband) can do more than that!

You need to ring the DWP and ask for a copy of the assessor’s report (PA4). This report on which the DWP based their decision. Go through it carefully, noting what you agree with and what you disagree with.

I would then write a letter saying something like ‘Following your recent decision on my PIP claim, I believe that you have given me the wrong number of points, as detailed in the attached document, and I request a Mandatory Reconsideration’. The document has been written by my husband since I don’t have the ability to do it by myself, but he has read it to me and I am in full agreement with it.’

I then take each descriptor in turn say what you agree with, what you disagree with, what you believe the truth to be and finally what you think the correct number of points is.

This is a chore, but it is potentially well worth the effort.

We also have some guidance on how to deal with MR’s here . Scroll down until you get the heading ‘PIP APPEALS’.

I wish you success in getting your correct award,
Catherine

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.