Login FormClose

Free PIP, ESA & UC Updates!

Delivery Fortnightly!

Over 80,000 claimants and professionals subscribe to the UK's leading source of benefits news.

Form Heading

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
Members

TOPIC:

Anyone for Coffey? 3 months 2 weeks ago #264600

Yes Phrank, you are correct about the percentage of disabled employees. It was 2% of employees. You got a disabled card from a government department (I can't remember which one). I got one because I fell down some stone steps at work and it was classed as an industrial injury. I lost my card over the years. They did seem relatively easy to get at the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Anyone for Coffey? 3 months 1 week ago #264617

Hi Dixip,

The Tory levelling up certainly wont level up for the benefit of disabled people, especially with those who are severe disabled ie with having either singular or multiple hidden illnesses.

I was quite upset when i read this article the other day about how tories would save benefit monies off certain disabled people.

links are below:

uk.news.yahoo.com/tory-mp-taxpayer-saves...nalds-215120764.html

sputniknews.com/20191206/hastings-disabl...ndal-1077502987.html

regards.

Anyone for Coffey? 3 months 1 week ago #264621

HI Dixip,

Thanks for that. It confirms my hazy memories. Yes, in my first job there was a deaf couple I used to work with and someone said at the time about this government scheme.

Regards,

Phrank.

Anyone for Coffey? 3 months 1 week ago #264684

My husband who has epilepsy used to have one of those cards. He used to recoup a great deal more in insurance claims than they ever paid him. The trouble with percentage schemes is that employers likely pick and choose people with disabilities that will tick their box but not need expensive adjustments or much time off....
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Anyone for Coffey? 3 months 1 week ago #264690

My husband who has epilepsy used to have one of those cards. He used to recoup a great deal more in insurance claims than they ever paid him. The trouble with percentage schemes is that employers likely pick and choose people with disabilities that will tick their box but not need expensive adjustments or much time off....
Denby

......And, sadly, I can't ever see a system being put in place that works for both employer and employee.

Regards,

Phrank.

Anyone for Coffey? 3 months 1 week ago #264705

DWPs own words clearly states.

We use a separate assessment to determine entitlement for PIP. Unlike in UC and ESA, PIP aims to help people with the extra costs of a disability or long-term health condition.

They do at the moment but they've long mooted the idea of combing the assessment (not the benefits) which means fewer assessments and thereby cutting back on admin costs but disabled people could stand to lose all
Moderators: GaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenPeteKatherine