× Members

Anyone for Coffey?

More
2 years 6 months ago #264870 by phrank
Replied by phrank on topic Anyone for Coffey?
Hi all,

Having spent much of today researching the rumoured merger of PIP with UC, I have yet to read a convincing report.

To suggest, as Ms Coffey has, that a non-means tested benefit could co-exist with a means tested benefit sounds almost impossible without major law changes.

The nearest I can get into moving the two together is with the non-means tested premiums paid to certain ESA recipients and PIP itself.

The message is clear enough. According to Coffey, too many young people are in the ESA support group and too many claim PIP. She is using 'reverse ageism' (is that a term?) in labelling young people as the prime reasons for her reasoning.

As is usually the case, this is coming out of the mouth of someone who is comfortably well off and if (although I mistrust her I wish her no harm) something suddenly unfortunate happened she would be in a healthier financial situation than the vast majority of people to live her life. I know she had a lengthy stay in hospital the other year due to an ear infection going wrong but this obviously didn't mellow her.

I cannot get my head around this one.

Regards,

Phrank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwistedWitch, denby, MrFibro, BIS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #264910 by phrank
Hi all,

This is part of the statement by Therese Coffey, the part I've been trying to find:

"I don 't think we're looking at merging non-means-tested PIP with means tested UC, and the reform would not be just trying to force-fit different benefits together."

Well, read into that what you will but that statement makes it sound almost impossible to merge them without changing the nature of one or both benefits.

Regards,

Phrank.

More
2 years 6 months ago #264920 by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar
Replied by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar on topic Anyone for Coffey?
[quote="phrank
post=264910"]Hi all,

This is part of the statement by Therese Coffey, the part I've been trying to find:

"I don 't think we're looking at merging non-means-tested PIP with means tested UC, and the reform would not be just trying to force-fit different benefits together."

Well, read into that what you will but that statement makes it sound almost impossible to merge them without changing the nature of one or both benefits.

Regards,

Phrank.[/quote]

Phrank well done buddy for trying to work this out, but as I've clearly stated PIP is a separate entity?
Therese Coffey is barking up the wrong tree trying to do any type of system change as PIP, like DLA was, and is for people in, or out of work.

Also to note as I've stated many times before all evidence is shared across the whole of the DWP that's what you sign when you claim for any benefits whether it be ESA,mUC,mormeven PIP, all your evidence is stored under you claim, or claims.

As I've said in an earlier post on this thread things will change hopefully for the better.

She can bark all she likes regarding this.

I was formely known as (GoingOffMyHeadWithThisGovernment) Won PIP November 2017 ongoing award HR both. Now kept and got my ESA Support group but took a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phrank

More
2 years 6 months ago #264923 by phrank
Hi TGGTF,

Thanks for your reply regarding this.

Yes, square peg in a round hole, mixing oil with water, counting all the grains of sand on a beach. Coffey's idea does sound a bit far-fetched, doesn't it?

I think these conferences are just like the meetings I used to go to at work long ago: a free drink or two but nothing really ever comes of them.

Regards,

Phrank.

More
2 years 6 months ago #264929 by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar
Replied by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar on topic Anyone for Coffey?
Phrank your welcome.

Here another point to take into account...

It has been stated... Quote ""introducing a single assessment into the current system would not be beneficial. The benefits have been designed separately and each assessment considers different criteria.”

It “added: If we were to introduce a new single benefit, depending on how this was designed and its objectives, it might be possible to use a single assessment. Alternatively, we might be able to simplify access to this new benefit in some other way."

The report added: "We will consider the impact of any potential changes to the benefits system on the other benefits and support we provide for disabled people and people with health conditions. For example, changes to PIP, UC or ESA could affect benefits such as Carer’s Allowance and Attendance Allowance. We will look holistically at any changes we make, to avoid unintended consequences.

Full article here. www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/dwp-looki...gle-benefit-25238653

I was formely known as (GoingOffMyHeadWithThisGovernment) Won PIP November 2017 ongoing award HR both. Now kept and got my ESA Support group but took a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phrank

More
2 years 6 months ago #264939 by Mollie
Replied by Mollie on topic Anyone for Coffey?
It's more likely to be a case of politicians have to say something even if it is tripe. They head up departments but don't have a clue what goes on in them. They are just well-paid figureheads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, TheHud, Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.