× Members

PIP Appeal

• foss27
8 years 3 months ago #149177 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic PIP Appeal
Hi
Its very difficult to predict the assessors report. It depends whether they accurately record what you said or they put is OK 50% of the time so doesn't get the points.
Unfortunately all you can do is wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #150218 by Poppy
Replied by Poppy on topic PIP Appeal
Hi can you help. I believe that my assessment of 2hrs.15mins without abreak of offer of drink was unacceptable, invalid and inhuman. If I challenge this, if my decision is no point awarded what will happen. Will I be asked to go to another assessment, will they change their decision as the assessment was not carried out to procedure guidelines etc. Or will they just ignore the complaint and stick to their decision. Will I just have to apply for MR. Are they allowed to keep you at the assessment as long as they feel fit with no break of offer of a drink. Thanks

More
8 years 3 months ago #150220 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic PIP Appeal
Hi Poppy

I have been looking at the information available about assessments and it would appear that they were originally intended to take about an hour, depending on the skill and knowledge of the medical professional and the complexity of your case.

In fact they have been known to take as little as twenty minutes or as much as two hours; so your assessment would seem to have taken rather longer than would be expected.

You have taken a note of the length of time taken and the fact that were offered neither a break nor refreshment, and if in fact your award is not what you would hope for these are some of the points you could use to argue your case against the award.

Wait until you receive your assessment letter; request a copy of the assessor's report, depending on what it says, then you request an MR. Until you actually know what your award is, there's little else to be done. You could contact the DWP and make them aware of your concerns and distress (followed up by letter, if you choose to telephone). That way they can't ignore what has happened.

I'm sorry you have found this so distressing; let us know what the result of your assessment is, and what you want to do about it, and we will try to help you.

More
8 years 3 months ago #150278 by Poppy
Thank you so much Shelam, I contacted ATOS after the appointment to tell them I was not happy with the length of time the assessment took etc. I will now telephone DWP to tell them, thanks, ill let you know the outcome of my desision.

More
8 years 3 months ago #150317 by Boomer
Replied by Boomer on topic PIP Appeal
If you havent its worth reading this too:

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/upl...assessment-guide.pdf

It basically states how the PIP assessment should be handled and I bet you will find some other ways your assessment was carried out that goes against their guidance.

Its pretty detailed including the fact the assessor should be facing you during the assessment and not just looking at a computer screen typing away as they talk.

I only mention that one point as its exactly what my assessor did. I was basically just dictating a letter, or so it felt.

Ironic as he said my eye contact was "adequate"... whatever that means. However the fact he was looking at the screen most of the time would make such a statement seem a little odd.

Anyway, like I said, well worth a read ans I suspect you will have a few more things to say to ATOS after you've read it....

Oh, while your waiting, get a Subject Access Request sent off to the DWP requesting their copy (when they have it) of a form called the PA4. This document is critical if you intend to challenge the DWP decision as it actually shows you what the ATOS assessor wrote and what points he gave you according to the descriptors.

Have a look on this site, there is a pre made template tob ask for the PA4. Just print it off and send it recorded delivery. I also called and emailed DWP too.... but the recorded letter is the most important. I got my PA4 in only 4 days and it made interesting reading!

Good luck

More
8 years 3 months ago #150869 by Poppy
Hi, I have received a copy of my medical assessment which states no help with nutrition although given prompting with preparing cooking food.

My question is that in my questionnaire on Q3, not Q4 Nutrition I stated that" because of my server diagnosed TMJ my teeth do not meet on left side, divination to my teeth, which means that I have difficulty chewing food. It takes me longer and its painful" " I eat soft foods like porridge yogurt, soft bread etc causing less pain both physically and mentally"

I also included a letter referral from my GP which states that "Because of her eating disorder she has tried to stop eating altogether"
Also I included a letter from mum and friend who encourage and motivate me to eat.

HP stated that "looks slim, tired, but not undernourished,eats to please, eats every evening, views food as a necessity so she is motivated to eat"
I did say food was a necessity but I meant in order to stay alive.I did say I eat something every evening, (to please her) but did not say what or how much. I believe I have put weight on so have cut down my food intake, but I am still .
medically under weight ( evidence given. Also blood test shows deficiency in vitamins)
What else can I do to change the decision of the HP?.I find it astonishing that she missed all this information. What percentage of the time does the case Manager agree with HP.

Also I was awarded point for things I did not even state I needed help with and left blank on the questionnaire. I believe that I have scored 11 points. If the case Manager disagrees with HP on Nutrition It will make it 13 points, which I what I would like to happen, thanks

Moderators: bro58GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.