× Members

Health Assessment (my journey) :-(

More
5 years 4 months ago #223318 by Stressed
Replied by Stressed on topic Health Assessment (my journey) :-(

Gordon wrote: Stressed

As previously explained, Universal Credit.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon for all your help.

I had my assessment today. I don't know how well it went as there was a few funny faces pulled at me.

At the end they said I would hear back from them in 4-6 weeks (not sure if that's good or bad?).

So while going through a mandatory reconsideration I don't really have a choice but to claim universal credit as I wouldn't be able to survive or pay my rent with no money coming in :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #223557 by Stressed
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
And I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

I just had a thought......

Would I be able to get any sort of emergency payment while I was waiting for the mandatory reconsideration?

I'm really trying to avoid going onto universal credit :(

More
5 years 3 months ago #223573 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Health Assessment (my journey) :-(
Stressed

There is nothing that the DWP can provide, all of the Hardship payments that are available require you to have a benefit award.

Local councils are supposed to be able to provide financial help but I am not sure that you will qualify with other solutions available to you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stressed

More
5 years 3 months ago #224297 by Stressed

Gordon wrote: Stressed

There is nothing that the DWP can provide, all of the Hardship payments that are available require you to have a benefit award.

Local councils are supposed to be able to provide financial help but I am not sure that you will qualify with other solutions available to you.

Gordon

Thank again Gordon for all your help.

I really don't know what I should do.

I'm expecting my letter any day now and it will require a quick response.

I don't seem to have any choice but to claim universal credit while I'm going though the mandatory reconsideration that will leave me unable to continue with ESA even if I win, but I've read that the claim for universal credit can take a while to set up and that the mandatory reconsideration can be dealt with quite quickly.

So a bit of my fear is for me to win the mandatory reconsideration before my application for universal credit has bee completely processed. That would leave me unnecessarily stuck on universal credit.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224317 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Health Assessment (my journey) :-(
Stressed

It's not the set up that takes the time but the first payment for UC. Basically, once you hit the send on your online application for UC you are committed to the benefit.

MRs on average take 5-8 weeks but they can be a lot longer and there is little that you can do to speed them up.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #224843 by Stressed
Thanks Gordon.

I received a phone call today saying that i have scored 0 points so i will now need to claim UC and wait for the letter so i can put in a MR.

I haven't explained my situation in full on here so far because i though not only would it bore everyone and be too much of a read, but my condition wouldn't allow me to concentrate and word everything correctly.

But i have my partner here with me now to help so I'm going to have a go through everything.

I suffer from server anxiety and depression that makes it difficult for me to go out on my own and sometimes i cant get out of bed and cant face speaking to anyone.

I also have a ruptured disk in my back that causes all sorts of issues from having to walk with two crutches, unable to sit without booster cushions (even then I'm still in pain and need to keep changing positions), i even need help when it comes to washing myself as i cant stand without holding on to something. I'm also asthmatic and suffer from other problems such as insomnia, psoriasis (caused by stress)...et.

On the day of my health assessment i had to have a relative that has a large car take me. on the way there i was having panic attacks and it was terrible.

When going into have the amassment i was unable to sit on the chair so i had to sit across the room on the edge of a bed they had in the corner of the room, the assessor and got me a stool to put my feet up on but i couldn't balance on the edge of the bed and put my feet on it.

The assessor asked me questions like how do i shop for food and i answered my partner does it online and my partner then goes to the local shop to get anything that is missing, She asked things like how i keep clean and i answered that my partner helps me with everything including doing all the cooking...etc.

she really didn't ask much about things like depression.

Moving on to the call i had today.

The person that call me today was very sympathetic and said that i was required to score a minimum of 15 points but i scored 0 .

I asked him how this could be as i couldn't even walk with my crutches without being in pain. He then checked what was written and said that the assessor has written that i showed good upper body strength as i was walking with the crutches so i would be able to push myself along in a wheelchair.

This is not the case as my back pain would not allow me to push myself along in a wheel chair.

Also surely even being in a wheelchair would score a couple of points?

I then asked if she mentioned anything about depression or anxiety and he said the assessor has wrote that it is being handled by my GP with medication and I've never been admitted, she also wrote that i made good eye contact (probably because i was trying to hear her from across the room) and i conversed well on the papaer work i sent in (it was already explained in the paperwork that my partner had done it for me).

So now ill need to apply online for UC and wait for the letter and full report from my amassment (i asked them to send it to me) so i can submit the MR.

I went though this a few years ago and won when it went to the tribunal.

My conditions haven't got any better since then (if anything they are worse), Would it be worth mentioning this when i submit the MR?

Thanks again for all your help and sorry this post is so long.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.